JOB TITLE: Canvasser
DEPARTMENT: Policy and Civic Engagement
REPORTS TO: Team Captain
To apply, please submit letter of interest and resume to Teresa Sotelo at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Canvasser is responsible for working with team members to meet and/or exceed daily individual and team goals that work to increase Hispanic civic engagement and knowledge of issues impacting the Hispanic community. Works closely with team captain to ensure accountability and quality control. Accepts constructive feedback and motivation from Team Captain on how to meet daily expectations. Success in this role requires being able to actively engage new people to participate in civic duties (eg. registering to vote) and answer questions they may have about the voting process.
• Meet and/or exceed daily individual and team goals
• Participate in daily canvass briefings
• Actively participate in voter outreach activities such as canvassing and tabling
• Accurately complete detailed forms and reports
• Initiate contact with people in public areas and/or at their homes to solicit them to register to vote, vote, engage, take surveys, and/or sign petitions
• Demonstrate and utilize great customer service and listening skills to motivate voters to sign materials
• Use creative techniques and means to engage new voters
• Validate that potential voters meets the state eligibility requirements to register to vote or sign petition forms through the established means and methods when required
• Submit all completed forms within the required timeframe
• Work closely with the Team Captain to ensure all goals and objectives are met
• Maintain compliance with all project requirements
• Track and enter daily reports on individual activities
• Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
• 2+ years of work or education experience
• Prior work experience in customer service or politics a plus
• Attention to detail and accuracy
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
• Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to maintain etiquette in a professional environment, and a positive attitude
• Commitment to excellence and high performance and ethical standards
• Comply with all state and federal election laws
• Ability to work long days including weekends
• Maintain a clean and professional appearance
• Able to work with and maintain positive work relationships with diverse constituencies and sensitivity in dealing with diversity issues including race, gender, sexual orientation, and economic status
• Must be able to meet the requirements to become an El Paso County Volunteer Deputy Registrar
• Must be able to work in the United States
• Bilingual (Spanish-English) skills a plus
• Access to cell phone and email account for work purposes
• Quality — Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
• Quantity — Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
• Professionalism — Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
• Ethics — Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
• Teamwork — Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
• Oral Communication — Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
• Accurately complete detailed forms and reports
• Coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously
• Continually required to stand
• Continually required to walk
• Continually required to approach and engage new people
• Continually required to talk and listen to new people
• Occasionally required to lift/push light weights (less than 25 pounds)
• Required to operate a motor vehicle
• Exposure to wet and/or humid conditions
• Exposure to outside weather conditions including frequent sunny days
• Exposure to extreme heat
• The noise level in the work environment usually is moderate to loud
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.